- Market sell-off requires more emphasis on diversification
Market sell-off requires more emphasis on diversification
Monday 05 February 2018
Research / Market
Solidity of fundamentals remains intact and does not justify the current correction.
- Market sell-off. After more than a year without a significant correction, equity markets declined as interest rates moved sharply higher due to concerns that inflation may be rising. The decline was overdue, in our opinion, and is consistent with our belief that inflation is likely to increase, but should remain subdued.
- Fundamentals: Macro and micro fundamentals at corporate level are intact as the recent earnings reporting season confirms.
- Volatility bounced back from ultra-low levels. Macro hedges(volatility, gold, safe haven cross rates, options strategies) in this market environment are key.
- Embrace an active approach. An active and flexible approach within a solid macro and micro fundamental backdrop is key to possibly capturing opportunities that this market correction may bring again.
Bavarian elections: Eropean political landscape continues to evolve
"The poor performances from the traditional parties in the Bavarian elections represent early signs of a political reshuffle at the federal level."
Late cycle features at play: more pain, but not the end of the game
"We expect further volatility and possible additional down moves led by the growth part of the market and possible pressure on the high yield side as well. But it is not going to be a market capitulation."
Italian budget proposal under scrutiny
"The key points of the budget law. The Italian Government negatively surprised the markets by announcing a substantially increased budget deficit target for 2019-2021 to 2.4% in a move that could undermine the potential to reduce the Italian debt burden (130% of GDP) in the coming years"